We thank you for joining us this week for yet another installment of our series, Today’s Realities Force Parents to Let go of Yesterday’s Memories. By this point, it is quite likely that you have started to construct that proverbial “village” mentioned in the ancient African proverb so long ago…. You know and you understand that this is an absolute “must” in today’s world, yet, it is virtually non-existent. You have come to terms with the fact that the education system has failed. Now, you are taking the steps that are necessary to ensure that your child receives the absolute best education possible during the next school year. Last week, you were introduced to two steps to ensure that is possible. The first was to prevent the summer slide. The second was send your child to a brain-based math camp. This week, we continue with the third step; that is, to support your child’s ability to learn in the home.
Step #3: Support Your Child’s Ability to Learn in the Home
As a parent, one of the most productive ways to ensure that your child receives the absolute best education possible in ANY school year is to support their ability to learn within the home. This should start by demonstrating a positive attitude about education. The things that we say and do have the ability to have a direct impact on a child’s attitude towards learning. By showing an interest in their ability to learn, you can spark a high level of enthusiasm in your child. In addition to this, you may do the following:
- Ensure to monitor the amount of time that a child spends watching television, playing video games, and on the internet. You should also monitor what types of media your child is watching and playing. It is also important to monitor the websites and activities that your child indulges in while on the internet.
- Encouraging your child to read is one of the most important ways to aid in helping them become educated. Additionally, you should encourage your child to visit the library.
- Encourage your child to have a high level of responsibility and teach them to work in an independent fashion, while still being available to them should they need you.
- You should always talk with your child and listen to them. Not only will this help in developing language skills, but, the child’s self-confidence will be optimized as they will feel valued.
- You should push your child to engage in activities that will promote learning. Ask them a lot of questions, encourage them to solve problems, and motivate them to pursue interests.
In this installment, you have been introduced to the third way to ensure your child receives the best education next school year. That is, to support your child’s ability to learn in the home. You were provided with several ideas on how to succeed in this endeavor.
Be sure to return next week to learn the fourth and fifth way to optimize your child’s educational success! In the meantime, you may learn more by visiting:http://miraclemathcoaching.com/blog/